How Tom Helps Clients
Tom is well known for his legal work and professional contributions in the area of healthcare law.
In his healthcare practice, Tom has represented hospitals, health systems, home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities and intermediate care facilities for developmentally disabled people in administrative and corporate law issues. He has represented many clients in merger or affiliation matters, including Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, the University of Pennsylvania Health System, Conemaugh Health System, Montgomery Hospital Medical Center, Kadlec Health System and Aria Health.
Tom is the past chair of the firm's Healthcare Section, which he led for 15 years. He also served on the firm's Board of Directors for many years and chaired the firm's compensation committee.
Tom has lectured and written extensively on a variety of legal issues in the healthcare field. For more than 20 years, he served as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where he taught healthcare law and advanced fraud and abuse law.
Tom has been quoted in the media on healthcare-related legal matters, and his work has garnered recognition from peers, clients, and legal and healthcare entities.
- Selected by clients for the 2009 Client Service All-Star Team list, a list of only 176 attorneys in the United States, Canada, South America and Europe compiled by BTI Consulting Group, the leading provider of strategic market research to law firms and professional services firms.
- Has spoken at meetings of the American Health Lawyers Association, National Association of Home Care, the Hospital Association of Pennsylvania Society of Healthcare Attorneys, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Healthcare Financial Management Association, the Pennsylvania Homecare Association, the Health Policy Institute of the University of Pittsburgh and the Dickinson Law School Forum.
- Co-wrote a chapter, "Retroactive Versus Contemporaneous Reviews," for the book Monitoring & Auditing Practices for Effective Compliance , published by the Health Care Compliance Association.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America ®, healthcare law category, every year since the category was established in 1991.
- Achieved Band 1 ranking in Healthcare in Chambers USA 2017, 2016 and 2015 guides
- Recipient, Presidents Award, Pennsylvania Association of Home Health Agencies for outstanding contributions to the home health field (1994).
- Recipient, Excellence in Healthcare Law Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association (2001).
- Recognized by the Pittsburgh Regional Healthcare Initiative for his service as volunteer legal counsel (2002).
- Selected consecutively for nine years to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list.
- Has received a top-tier ranking in Chambers USA in the healthcare field, where he was noted for being “highly respected” in his practice.
- Recipient, 2014 Allied Professional of the Year from the Pittsburgh Planned Giving Counsel
- Listed in Legal Media Group's Guide to the Leading U.S. Healthcare Lawyers (2005).